Prosecutors Recommend Punishment For Former Rep. Anthony Weiner

Anthony Weiner

Federal prosecutors have handed down their punishment recommendation for disgraced former Rep. Anthony Weiner, D-NY.

Prosecutors told a Manhattan judge on Wednesday that Weiner deserves to serve about two years in prison for sending sexual material to an underage girl.

Fox News reported that government officials working the case wanted to “send a message” regarding Weiner’s sentencing, given that the former lawmaker had claimed to have changed his ways after previously getting caught for sexting.

“This is not merely a ‘sexting’ case,” the prosecutors wrote in a statement. “The defendant did far more than exchange typed words on a lifeless cellphone screen with a faceless stranger. … Transmitting obscenity to a minor to induce her to engage in sexually explicit conduct by video chat and photo — is far from mere ‘sexting.’ Weiner’s criminal conduct was very serious, and the sentence imposed should reflect that seriousness.”

Visit The News Guru Store

In May, Weiner pleaded guilty to sexting an underage girl in 2016. He agreed to not appeal any sentence between 21 and 27 months in jail as part of a plea bargain.

RELATED:  Liberals Smear Woman’s Tough Immigration Proposal as Racist… Turns Out She’s Black

Since getting caught sending explicit images to an underage girl, Weiner has publicly repented for his behavior and said his insatiable need for sexting is a result of a “sickness.”

“I have a sickness, but I do not have an excuse,” Weiner told a judge in May.

“I apologize to everyone I have hurt,” he added. “I apologize to the teenage girl, whom I mistreated so badly.” He added that he understood his behavior was morally wrong.

Loading...

Weiner was first elected to Congress in 1998, and subsequently won re-election six times.

He resigned in June 2011 after the first of several sexting scandals broke.

During an attempt at a political comeback in 2013, revelations came out that Weiner had sent more sexts while he was running for the Democratic nomination for the New York City mayor’s office.

Under the alias “Carlos Danger,” Weiner had continued to send explicit images to a woman — over a year after he had resigned from Congress in disgrace for doing the same thing.

Refusing to drop out of the campaign, Weiner ultimately finished the 2013 Democratic primary with less than 5 percent of the total vote.

RELATED:  VIDEO: FACEBOOK Bans Conservatives After They Complain About Censorship

In 2016, Weiner was outed yet again for sending explicit material to a woman. This led to his wife and close Hillary Clinton confidant, Huma Abedin, to announce she was separating from him.

His sexting habits have affected the political careers of others as well.

Once Weiner became the target of a child pornography investigation, federal authorities seized communication devices that he owned. Former FBI Director James Comey was forced to reopen the investigation into Hillary Clinton’s email scandal after prosecutors found new correspondence from Clinton on Weiner’s laptop.

The announcement of the renewed FBI investigation, just days before Election Day, is viewed as a major reason for Clinton losing the presidential contest to Donald Trump.

RELATED:  Time Magazine Unveils Its 2017 ‘Person of the Year’

Weiner said last week he is undergoing therapy for his sexting habits and is heartbroken for subjecting the underage girl, a North Carolina high school student, to what his attorneys describe as a “deep sickness.”

The judge overseeing the current case is scheduled to hand down Weiner’s sentence on Monday.



Dear Reader,
We need to talk. Facebook has targeted our site, preventing over half of our stories from reaching our readers. We believe this is wrong and, honestly, we need your help to continue producing the quality news and opinion we produce every day. You can help make that possible:


Loading...
Don't Forget To Share This Article